Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier: A Pleasantly Mediocre Hef

Hefe-Weissbier
Paulaner, Munich, Germany

This lightly sour, cloudy, and orange wheat is not what I'd have thought to pair with a burger. Well actually in this case it's portobello burger, but I think the remark "pleasant surprise" is warranted. This beer actually has a way of preserving and lifting the savory favors without destroying your pallet. Again I'd believe this observation would hold true for beef's flesh as well. That said, I don't feel like this one distinguishes itself as a unique Hef and that's ok; I'm not disappointed, but at the same time it isn't a brew I'd walk a block for considering the ubiquity of Widmer's.  

-Jesse

Style: Hefe-Wiezen
ABV: 5.5%
Available: Widely Distributed
Tasted: Burgers and Brew, Sacramento, CA