Monday, June 27, 2011

De Proef Brewerij Saison Imperiale Review: Someone go to Europe and tell the Belgians that they have lost their minds.

Saison Imperiale
De Proef Brewerij, Lochristi, Belgium

De Proef Brewerij's Saisson Imperiale
If you woke me from sleep and demanded to know what "farmhouse ale" meant (because you didn't bother to Google first) I'd say something like "an unfiltered, sour, bottle-conditioned wheat beer.  You know like a scrumpy cider or a country wine.  Now let me go back to sleep damn it!"  According to Saison Imperiale's label, I'm way off.  It actually means, according to De Proefu Brewerij, that the beer makers blend Sacchromyces and Brettanomyces yeasts to produce "mild earthiness" and "farmhouse."  From a marketing standpoint, "earthy" implies "pastoral" which means "smells like shit." Thankfully, this beer didn't.  The high alcohol and sour and sweet malt combine to form an altogether pleasant tasting saison.  I'd have it with meal next time just to keep from getting burned out on malty after taste, but I'd definitely have it again.  
 
                                                                            -Jesse 

When I first poured De Proef's Saison Imperiale I was ready to attack. A saison? Look at the color! 8.5% ABV? Any farmer who drank one of these for lunch who lose a leg to his scythe! Then, I tasted it. This does not taste like a saison! If you drink hoping for a traditional saison experience, you are going to have to swallow disappointment. Everything about this beer, except the aroma perhaps, screamed "I am not a saison!" The Imperiale looked like no saison I have ever seen. Instead, it featured a thick tan head with nice lacing and amber coloring. The aroma fit the saison mold -- slightly fruity with a hint of dirt. The beer managed to be both sweet and sour on the tongue like a bipolar candy with lots of caramel maltiness. There was no bitterness until the aftertaste. Despite all my vitriole, this was an interesting concoction. Overall I enjoyed this beer, and you will too.

-Ryan

Style: Saison/Imperial
ABV: 8.5%
Availability: Specialty stores nationwide

Other beers that may interest you:

Odanata Beer Company's Saison

Sam Adams' Rustic Saison

Sam Adams' Summer Ale