Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Beer Valley Leafer Madness Review: A Taste Bud Ass Kicking

Leafer Madness
Beer Valley Brewing Company, Ontario, OR
Leafer Madness: A nice taste bud
ass-kicking if you can get it.
Leafer Madness is quite possible the bitterest liquid I have ever drunk. I shouldn’t have been surprised. After all, the name practically shouts that some serious herbage was involved in the brewing of this beer. The beer exploded from the bottle, soaking me and the floor. Once I got it into a glass, Leafer Madness poured a deep golden color, but somehow confused my taste buds into thinking that some roasted grains lurked under the bitter barrage of more than 100 IBUs. The bitterness stayed with me after each sip. Don’t start an evening of beer tasting with this beer; you won't taste anything else for the rest of the night. The head was long-lasting and tightly woven with tiny bubbles. The aroma provided a hint of sweetness and a gale of American hops. At 9.0% ABV, this beer puts lightweights like me on our asses.

-Ryan

Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 9.0%
Available: Total Wine, Bev Mo, and specialty shops on the west coast only