Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mammoth Brewing Company IPA 395 Review: A Beer Worth Nearly Dying Four Times For

IPA 395
Mammoth Brewing Company, Mammoth Lakes, CA
http://www.mammothbrewingco.com/

Mammoth Brewing Co IPA 395 at a Glance:
Style: American IPA
Appearance: Amber with tan head
Aroma: Spicy hops and sweet malt
Taste: Balanced hoppy bitterness and sweet, caramel malt
Verdict: One of the best IPAs we've had

Jesse recently survived an epic adventure through the high Sierras, exploring a snow-shrouded Yosemite in late June, stumbling upon a black bear and her cub while hiking, almost getting ambushed by a meth head intent on a felony or two, nearly succumbing to a rock slide in the dead of night, and spending the night in the eastern Sierras in his car, which is tiny and "not good for sleeping or sex. I've tried both."

All that sounds like fun, but the real highlight was the beer. Jesse returned from his odyssey, or Jessyssey in this case, with 2 gallons of beer enjoyment like I've seldom experienced. I was the lucky recipient of one 1/2-gallon growler. I chose the IPA 395.

Not the bear that nearly ate Jesse--a friendlier and more delicious one.

Mammoth describes the IPA 395 as a double IPA, but it lacks the bitterness of most doubles. Instead, this beer greets you with an incredible bouquet of spices, hops, and sweet malt. It poured with an amber color and a perfect tan head. The IPA 395 was not really all that bitter on the tongue, which allowed a lot of caramel malt to come through the hops. It was really well balanced and entirely enjoyable. I kept pouring until all 64 ounces were in my belly. I didn't share a drop with anyone.

Would I drive 332 miles and brave bears, meth addicts, rock slides, and bitter cold? No, but I'd gladly send Jesse again.